Thursday, November 2, 2017

Week 1 in England

England compared to California 

This is more for the people at home that are wondering how different England is compared to America. I don't really know where to start...
Well I can number it off starting with the Cons and I'll number off Pros in a bit:

The Cons:

1. People keep to themselves more in England. You find one or two people who acknowledge your existence  but the rest do not care if you have room to walk in the tiny little sidewalks. For the one week I have been here I have tried to make eye  contact and smile like I normally would at home but here I am sure it is weird. People gave me weird stares and or completely ignored me with a grumpy face. Definitely NOT stranger friendly.
2. The streets and sidewalks are SO SMALL! I have no idea how people get around in this area. I wouldn't know how to drive down the street without running into someone. It literally is like driving down the narrow country roads but not having space to move out of the way. You literally have to yield to the right side and go behind a parked car practically going onto the curb to share the road. I would not have the amount of patience that these people have and hats off to you! That would annoy a simple driver like me. 
3. I cannot cross the damn street without almost getting run over! I forget the whole backwards thing, but that isn't why I almost faced death like twenty times a day. There isn't as many crosswalks here as in California AT ALL. Maybe one on the busy streets and that is it. People jay walk and they don't seem to find it hard to get on the other side. Maybe because I look like an easy target and people drive faster once my foot hits the damn pavement, but it never fails. People speed a lot more in England more than I have ever seen in my life. People go down 30 MPH roads at 50 MPH and no one bats an eye. It is normal to speed. The cops here don't care. I actually have only seen 3 cop cars the whole time I have been here and I walk down to the shop everyday at least twice a day. The cops here don't really care about that. I can see why English people think cops in America are so corrupt but I am actually happy they give out tickets like candy in California because people think twice before they go over 40 in a residential area. Sounds like a A hole thing to say but if you haven't walked down these streets, you have no idea! It is bad here. 
4. People here don't really care about Halloween. Halloween decor is rare to find. The pumpkins they sold were sad little things and they do egg your house. They break your pumpkins too! How do I know this? I saw a few egged houses down the street and I sadly found the pumpkin I carved that Connor spent hours trying to find on the sidewalk down the street smashed. I was completely heartbroken because I didn't take a picture of it before thinking I had time to in the morning but nope. Someone picked our pumpkin out of the yard and stole our candle and smashed it before I had a chance to take a picture. I have never met people to actually vandalize so much until I got here but eh, it is the way of life here. All these things are normal. I signed up for this.



The Pros?

1. The parks here are AMAZING! There is so much to do here at parks. There is parks sprinkled all over the town and they all have things I have never seen before. They are way better than ANY American parks I have seen. Everyone walks there dogs and I have seen so many joggers here. People live a healthy lifestyle here. People walk all over the place and the transportation is easy to get. 
2. The food here is CHEAP!!! I used to eat salads all the time and everything was pricey as hell. It was cheaper to eat a McDouble at McDonald's than to make a healthy chicken salad at home. But here? Meat, produce, and all drinks are so cheap! They even have a meal deal where you can get a bag of chips, a deli sandwich, and a drink (even a monster energy drink!) for three pounds. It is easy to eat healthy here. Soda here is expensive at fast food restaurants. No refills really and they do not have MASHED POTATOES AT KFC!!!! okay...moving on lol
3. The scenery is breathtaking and the weather is nice. It actually feels like fall here. The leaves change color and it gets chilly, it feels so good here. The houses look so adorable, they are all small and close together and they all sort of match one another. The forests are so green and full of life. Everything grows on everything. 
4. The chocolate here is actually better like they say. It melts in your mouth or it is the right amount of flaky. The candy here in general is nice, but not compared to the Mexican spicy candy. But it beats all the savory american candy by far. 

How is it like? 

Think Harry potter. People may tell me that is bullshit or tell me to "Piss Off" but for real, to an american this is all screams HP. People have actual Houses in schools and wear uniforms to school. The shopping mall looks like Hogsmeade and there is people EVERYWHERE. 

Conclusion

I may have forgotten a few things, I will write more later when I get a chance to again. I was just quickly touching on a few things before I call it a night, It is 8 hours difference and maybe more because of the daylight saving time crap. I am tired and cannot be bothered to fix the bits and bobs on the post, So if my spelling and grammar is bad oh weeeelllllll.
Have any questions? Want to know anything about England? Want me to take actual pictures of crap  I will do my best later and post them for you just message me on normaackerstories@gmail.com. Don't feel bad to ask I will be happy to help and I have gotten to the stories some of you send and I will post them soon when I settle down more and I will hop on it. Hope you all have wonderful day, I am outieeee, peace. 😎
Instagram  Figment: My Crap Writing   Snapchat: moonbeamray

No comments:

Post a Comment